And by “Whoa” I mean “Hang on for your lives! This stuff just got real!”
We are in full detox mode here at LaStradaTostada. Here are some recently heard snippets from around the house:
- “I would cut off my left hand for a piece of bread” (child)
- “I would cut off my right hand for a piece of bread” (parent-um, that would be me).
- “Why can’t it be called Whole2?!” (child, while looking at empty plate since she won’t eat the veggies and meat she’s being served)
- “This Whole30 thing is making me crankier” (all of us…but we realize we are in detox mode so it doesn’t really count). Think of it as a “Just give me the cookie and nobody gets hurt” kind of mentality…except we don’t get the cookie in the end, which continues the grumpy cycle.
- “We can do this! One. Day. At. A. Time.” (parent)
- “Okay…I can taste the natural sweetness in the strawberries. Can I be done now?” (child(s)
- “This Whole30 thing is a bad idea-I already feel worse” (child-before eating anything on Day 1)
Ha! So I think it’s safe to say we’re up against some major cravings, addictions and habits. I will be honest with you-I have fasted several times in the past for spiritual reasons and haven’t really ever had this intense of a reaction-but I think it’s the mindset. Knowing that there is a very real possibility that some of the foods I so desperately would give an appendage to eat right now might not be on my “Clean Foods List” after the 30 days. I know this is good for me, for us…which is why we keep going. I am also trusting the testimonials from other Whole30-ers and from Laura who so wonderfully commented on my last post of her own journey.
I am counting on this first week being the hardest. I’m already sick of meat. We’ll grill tomorrow-I think that will help.
Breakfast, I’m finding, is the hardest meal to get in veggies. Whole30 recommends calling the three daily meals “Meals 1, 2 and 3” so you’re not stuck eating eggs every single morning…but I’ve yet to convince the girls that “Soup, it’s what’s for breakfast” is the best tagline. Besides, “Meal 1 is ready!” just doesn’t roll of the tongue. Maybe we’ll have a meal re-naming contest. That would be fun!
We’re also eating more fruit right now than we should be, I think. But honestly-if the girls are downing a bowl of strawberries instead of goldfish crackers I feel as though we’re making progress.
Onward and Upward!
p.s. on a funny note-I’ve had two friends in the past two days text me about making cookies and thinking of me-one even included a picture! (obviously I need to send them the link to my blog again : ) This is why I cried, people! I live and breathe baking!! Oy Vey